- Venue: Simons Stadium, Geelong
- Date: 19th December 2019
- Time: 1:40 PM IST
- League: Big Bash League
Melbourne Renegades have big-hitters in the squad. While Aaron Finch can give the home team a good start, Shaun Marsh is fit for the finisher’s role. Marcus Harris and Finch had failed in the BBL final last season and the top 5 batsmen bundled up for under 20 runs each. Tom Cooper and Daniel Christian had rescued the team and helped post 145-5.
Daniel Christian, Harry Gurney and Cameron Boyce helped defend the total with their spell as Melbourne Renegades won the Big Bash 2018-19 title. Kane Richardson and Joe Mennie are also crucial in the bowling department. In addition, bowling all-rounders Mohammad Nabi and Jack Wildermuth are also part of the MLR squad. Shaun Marsh will have an impact on the middle-order making the case for defending champion stronger to win their first match.
Sydney Thunder kicked off their BBL 09 season with a win. Thunder defeated the title favorites Brisbane Heat by 29 runs. In their first away game of the season, Sydney Thunder posted 172-6 batting first. Skipper Callum Ferguson was the most impactful player with an unbeaten 73 off 44 balls while the team lost early wickets. Thunder got off to a poor start with 3 wickets down in 5 overs for 38 runs, when Ferguson and Alex Ross added 62 runs for the 4th wicket.
Ferguson finished the innings on a high as Sydney Thunder scored 29 runs in last 2 overs. While Brisbane Heat does have a strong batting line-up with Tom Banton, Max Bryant and Lynn at the top, Sydney bowlers got the bettor of Heat batting. Chris Green picked 2 for 19 while Jonathan Cook dismissed the two openers. Daniel Sams also picked 2 wickets though he was expensive in 2.2 overs. Sydney Thunder would be a confident side going into this match with a few batting concerns to look into.
Melbourne Renegades to win the match
While Sydney Thunder is missing out on their star players from the last season, Melbourne has Finch and Marsh to strengthen their batting line-up. Sydney sprung a surprise defeating Brisbane Heat with a not-so impressive playing XI.
Whether Thunder delivers such bowling performances consistently, only time will tell. However, Melbourne has a strong bowling attack and could make things difficult for Sydney Thunder batsmen.
Fantasy Team Tips
- Callum Ferguson would be an essential feature in the fantasy team given his performance in the last match. While he’s got the potential to carry the team on his back, Alex Hales would be a good choice for an opener.
- Aaron Finch and Marcus Harris, on the other hand, are crucial for Melbourne Renegades to get off to a good start. Shaun Marsh in the middle-order would mean responsibility on him to build partnerships and finish the innings.
- Daniel Christian and Daniel Sams are both important all-rounders for the respective teams. While bowling being their primary asset, Christian has great potential as a finisher lower down the order.
- Chris Green found success in the first match, though other options like Jonathan Cook can be explored for a fantasy team.
Fantasy Team Prediction
- Wicket-Keeper – M Gilkes
- Batsmen – C Ferguson, A Hales, S Marsh, A Finch, M Harris
- All-rounders – D Sams, D Christian
- Bowlers – C Green, K Richardson, H Gurney
- Captain – A Finch
- Vice-Captain – A Hales