- Venue: Pallekele International Cricket Stadium, Pallekele
- Date: 3rd September 2019
- Time: 7:00 PM IST
- League: New Zealand’s tour of Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka Preview
Sri Lanka played 3 wicket-keeper batsmen in the 1st T20I match against New Zealand. Kusal Mendis (79) and Niroshan Dickwella (33) scored most of the runs in Sri Lankan innings. While all-rounders Dasun Shanaka and Isuru Udana added finishing touches in the death overs.
Avishka Fernando didn’t perform as expected scoring at a strike rate of 58.82. However, the 63-runs partnership between Mendis and Dickwella for the 3rd wicket shaped the Sri Lankan innings. Defending 174 runs, Malinga and Wanidu Hasaranga topped the bowling charts with 2 wickets each.
Isuru Udana is an integral part of the Sri Lankan bowling unit. As a result, his expensive spell of 38 for 0 spoiled their chances of a win. Malinga and Hasaranga will be crucial in the next match. Similarly, Udana and Rajitha will need to improve their game.
New Zealand Preview
Skipper Tim Southee and Mitchell Santner bowled the best spells for the Blackcaps. Together, the two picked 3 wickets for 42 runs in 8 overs. However, Seth Rance’s 4 wicket-less overs conceding 58 runs led Sri Lanka to a commanding position.
Spells from Sodhi and Colin De Grandhomme were wicket-less too. In addition, Grandhomme bowled at an economy rate of 10.33. Overall, the bowling unit couldn’t perform in sync and gave way for a good 1st innings total.
After Martin Guptill, Colin Munro and Tim Seifert were out early in the innings, NZ was 39-3. Taylor and Grandhomme added 79 runs for the 4th wicket. After that, New Zealand was back in the game. After the two were dismissed by the 17th over, Santner and Daryl Mitchell played crucial innings to take the visitors to victory.
New Zealand to win
Fantasy Team Tips
- Kusal Perera and Tim Seifert are both top-order batsmen while Dickwella plays at number 4.
- One of the two top-order batsmen along with Dickwella would make a good choice for wicket-keeper.
- While Ross Taylor is an important addition to the batting order, other batsmen choice would be between Colin Munro and Martin Guptill.
- As for all-rounders, Colin de Grandhomme and Mitchell Santner would have the potential to perform well.
- In conclusion, the fantasy XI would include batsmen at no.1, 3 & 4 from SL and no 1, 3, 4 5 & 7 from NZ.
Fantasy Team Prediction
- Wicket-Keeper – Niroshan Dickwella, Tim Seifert
- Batsmen – Avishka Fernando, Kusal Mendis, Martin Guptill, Ross Taylor
- All-rounders – Colin de Grandhomme, Mitchell Santner
- Bowlers – Lasith Malinga, A Dananjaya, Tim Southee
- Captain – Kusal Mendis
- Vice-Captain – Colin de Grandhomme
Tip – Given the nature of a T20I match, multiple combinations of captain and vice-captain are ideal for competing in big leagues.